AAS, Technology Construction Emphasis
- Mission Statement
The Associate of Applied Science, Technology degree program is designed to provide entry-level skills, continuing education, and advanced technical skills in several specialized fields including Welding, Construction, and Occupational Safety.
The Construction Technology Emphasis has been suspended as of Spring 2016. This means that no new students may enroll.
For more information and advising, contact Lorraine Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-486-1209.
Hover over a question above to learn more
- Understand, describe, and analyze the physical components found in technical systems.
- Understand and apply safety practices.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of science, math, and computers in technical fields.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills using industrial terminology, technology and documentation procedures that adhere to industry codes and standards.
- Define basic building systems, equipment, materials, techniques and assemblies used in construction.
- Define basic electrical, mechanical, structural and civil theories that affect the construction process, in addition to safety, health, and environmental issues related to construction activities.
- Define the roles, relationships, and responsibilities of the participants in the construction process.
Oral Communications GER (3CR) Select one of the following:
- COMM A111 Methods of Oral Communication
- COMM A235 Small Group Communication
- COMM A237 Interpersonal Communication
- COMM A241 Public Speaking
Written Communications GER (6CR)
- ENGL A111 Methods of Written Communication
- ENGL A212 Technical Writing
Mathematics GER (3CR)
- MATH A105 Intermediate Algebra
Natural Sciences GER (4CR) Select one of the following:
- CHEM A103/L Survey of Chemistry with Lab
- CHEM A105/L General Chemistry with Lab
- GEOL A111 Physical Geology
- PHYS A123/L Basic Physics I with Lab
Technology Core Requirements
- AET A101 Fundamentals to CADD for Building Construction
- CIS A105 Introduction to Personal Computers and Software Applications
- ET A151 Basic Electricity for the Trades
- HUMS A153 Human Relations or HUMS A155 Human Relations in the Workplace
- OSH A101 Introduction to Occupational Safety and Health
- OSH A250 Hazardous Material Operations
- TECH A101 Introduction to Technological Principles
Construction Emphasis Requirements
- CM A102 Methods of Building Construction
- CM A123 Codes and Standards
- CM A142 Mechanical and Electrical Technology
- CM A201 Construction Project Management
- CM A205 Construction Safety
- CM A213 Civil Technology
- CM A231 Structural Technology
- TECH A295 Technical Internship
- Knowledge of phases of a construction project from start to finish
- Principles of carpentry, masonry, electrical work, HVAC and plumbing
- Interpretation of construction drawings
- Frame walls, ceilings and floors
- Installation of proper wiring
- Installation of plumbing systems
The average wage for a construction laborer is $50-$80 per hour.
The employment growth is moderate with high employment opportunities.