OEC in Office Foundations
- Mission Statement
The Occupational Endorsement Certificate in Office Foundations provides the foundational skills required for career entry in a variety of office settings.
Hover over a question above to learn more
Upon completion of this OEC, students will demonstrate:
- Keyboarding skills of 40 net words per minute.
- Intermediate skills in word processing and business document formatting.
- Entry-level skills in spreadsheets, databases, presentations, and electronic communication.
- Customer service skills.
- Knowledge of proper grammar and mechanics used in writing business documents.
- Basic math and 10-key calculator operations.
- Entry level skills in file organizational and management.
All students must take the following basic computer skills courses or possess equivalent knowledge. Students may take a test to prove proficiency in these areas. Beginning computer users should start with the basic skills courses.
- CIOS 101A Keyboarding A--1 credit
- CIOS A113 Operating Systems: MS Windows--1 credit
- CIOS 130A Word Processing I: MS Word--1 credit
- CIOS 135A Spreadsheets I: MS Excel--1 credit
- CIOS 146 Internet Concepts and Applications--2 credits
Office Foundations OEC (16 credits)
This OEC is the foundation for the Office Support OEC.
- CIOS A101B Keyboarding B: Business Documents I--1 credit
- CIOS A101C Keyboarding C: Business Documents II--1 credit
- CIOS A115 10-key for Business Calculations--2 credits
- CIOS A125 Electronic Communications I: MS Outlook--1 credit
- CIOS A140 Databases I MS Access--1 credit
- CIOS A150A Presentations: MS PowerPoint--1 credit
- CIOS A161A Business Writing Strategies--2 credits
- CIOS A165 Office Procedures--3 credits
- CIOS A230 Word Processing II: MS Word--1 credit
- Advisor approved electives--3 credits
This certificate prepares you for entry level office positions and is the basis of the other CIOS certificates.
- Drafting correspondence
- Entering data in spreadsheets
- Scheduling appointments
- Organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files
The average wage for an administrative professional is $15-$18 per hour.
This field has high employment opportunities.
For more information or advising contact Heather Corriere.
Office phone: 907-486-1212