The Filipino American Association of Kodiak would like to invite you to apply to the Fil-Am Scholarship for the 2019-2020 academic year. Fil-Am Association of Kodiak is a non-profit organization that serves and advocates for the Filipino community in areas including but not limited to cultural, political, educational, and general events to support the Fil-Am Scholarship and other local and international projects.
Fil-Am was established in 1985. It became inactive for a short period of time. In 2010, Mary Guilas-Hawver with a few Fil-Am leaders, revitalized the organization and became an active and respectable organization once again. Mary is the Board President and the Chairman of the Scholarship Committee.
- Must be a senior at Kodiak High School or a continuing education student
- Must be of Filipino descent
- Must have a 3.0 accumulative GPA
- Must be a resident of Kodiak, Alaska
- Must be pursuing a 4-year higher education degree
- Write a total of 500-800 word essay on the topics:
- What is your greatest achievement to date? Any of it related to the Filipino American community?
- What are your future career plans/goals?
- What are some barriers toward accomplishing your career goals?
- What are you going to do about these barriers?
- What does it mean to be a Filipino in Kodiak, Alaska or in the USA?
- Complete the scholarship application available below
- Submit a cover letter
- Submit two letters of recommendation with a recent date (2019 academic year)
- Submit your scholarship packet (essay, cover letter, letters of recommendation, and unofficial transcript) to Nancy Castro, Financial Aid Coordinator at Kodiak College, and address the scholarship:
For more information please contact Mary Guilas–Hawver at 907-481-2423 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
DUE DATE: Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. for Fall 2019 semester