Frequently Asked Questions

 Computer Access, Email and Account Issues

Getting Started with Financial Aid

  • Are there any requirements for first-time student loan borrowers?

    If you are offered loans as part of your financial aid you must complete the following:

    1. Accept your loan(s) in your UAOnline account. Retrieve your student ID#.  You may also contact the IT Call Center at 1-877-633-3888 for assistance.
    2. Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling online.  You will use the PIN# you created to complete your FAFSA to electronically sign these documents.

     See How to Apply for financial Aid for more information.

  • How can I find out if I qualify for financial aid?

    For all Federal Programs, the student must: 

    1. Be a U.S. citizen, a national or other eligible non-citizen. Permanent residents may be required to provide a copy of their I-151, I-551 or I-551C Alien Registration Receipt Card. 
    2. Not be in default on any National Direct Student Loan, Federal Perkins, Federal Stafford or Federal Supplemental Loans. This also applies to parents if applying for Federal Parent Loans (PLUS). 
    3. Have a valid Social Security number.
    4. Not owe a refund or repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, State Student Incentive Grant (SSIG) or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). This also applies to parents if applying for Federal PLUS loans.
    5. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or certificate program.
    6. (Males) Comply with U.S. Selective Service registration requirements to be eligible for federal and state aid. 

    If you meet the above criteria, the first thing you need to do to apply for financial aid is complete the FAFSA. You (and your parents) will need to apply for a PIN so you can sign your FAFSA electronically.

    After completing your FAFSA you can research scholarship opportunities at school and in your community. You can also search the web for national scholarships. Each scholarship sets their own eligibility requirements – be sure to verify your eligibility before you apply. 

  • What should I do to receive financial aid?

    Start by applying online for your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is how you apply for federal grants, student loans and work-study. 

    For more information on how to apply check out the Kodiak College Financial Aid page.

  • What types of financial aid are available?

    Financial aid award packages are comprised of grants and scholarships (these usually do not need to be paid back), loans (must be paid back) and work-study (student employment). The Federal Pell Grant is the most popular grant (applied for through the FAFSA), but there are other grants at the federal, state and university level. Scholarships opportunities are also available. Keep in mind that the main University of Alaska scholarship deadline is February 15th for the following academic year. You have until August 5th each year to apply for the Kodiak College Foundation Scholarships.

  • Can I get aid at two schools at the same time?
    No, financial aid can only be used at one school. 
  • Does Financial Aid cover all credits?
    Financial aid is intended to cover classes that are required for your degree program. You may receive federal financial aid for up to 150% of the credits required for your program before becoming ineligible. Example: If you are in a degree program that requires 60 credits, you will be eligible for financial aid for up to 90 credits. 
  • How do I know if my refund has been direct deposited?

    You can check to see if your financial aid refund has been directly deposited via UAOnline. To do so:

    1. Login to the secure side of UAOnline (click here if you need help retrieving your student ID#. Contact the IT Call Center at 1-877-633-3888 for assistance). 
    2. Select the "Personal Information" Tab.
    3. Select "Financial Information"
    4. Select "Direct Deposit Services"
    5. Select "Review your direct deposits"
    6. Select the fiscal year from the drop down menu that you wish to view and then hit "Display"
    7. Each direct deposit that has been applied to your bank account will be listed. The "Process Date" is the date the money was deposited.
  • How is the financial aid award calculated?

    The Government's Role:

    The U.S. Congress has established the basic parameters under which eligibility for financial aid programs is calculated. FAFSA data is analyzed and a calculation yields the student’s EFC, or Expected Family Contribution. The financial aid office uses this EFC in the awarding process. To find out more about how the EFC is determined please see the EFC Formula Guide.

    Please understand that your EFC is not a bill. Your EFC is only a number used by the school to determine your eligibility for certain types of financial aid programs.

    The University's Role:

    UAA takes your Cost of Attendance and subtracts your EFC to determine your financial need. The Cost of Attendance is the anticipated budget for all school related expenses – it is not the same as your student account balance that reflects actual registration expenses.  

    In general, students whose FAFSA data shows them to have the greatest financial need have the most eligibility for grant, work-study, and subsidized loan programs. The programs you are eligible for also depends upon the rules for each award program, and on whether there are funds left in UAA’s allocation for that program by the time we receive your FAFSA data. Taking into account your financial need and the limitations on the aid programs available, you will be awarded with grants first, then work-study, then loans. You may qualify for all three, or you may only qualify for loans.

    If you receive outside scholarships or funding from another source, your financial need will decrease and your other awards may have to be adjusted (we try to adjust loans first, then work-study, so as to preserve grant funding). You are required by federal law to report scholarships and other sources of funding, so please notify the financial aid office as soon as you know you’ll be receiving an outside scholarship.

  • Where can I find information about applying for and receiving aid?
    Check out the Kodiak College Financial Aid website. After you have completed your FAFSA you can check the status of your financial aid award offer by logging into your student account at UAOnline Retrieve your student ID#.  You may also contact the IT Call Center at 1-877-633-3888 for assistance.
  • My financial aid is more than my tuition bill, what happens to the extra money?

    If the total of your financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans, etc.) is greater than the amount of your bill, you will receive a refund. You may enroll to have your refunds sent to your bank account by setting up a direct deposit via UAOnline. If you do not set up direct deposit, a refund check will be mailed to the address you have on file with UAA.

    According to Federal regulation, excess financial aid cannot stay in a student's account for use in a future semester and cannot typically be used to pay for previous balances unless that balance occurs within the same award year. If you owe an outstanding balance, contact the Business Office at (907) 486-1217 to discuss your options.

  • What about books? How can financial aid help?

    If you have completed all of the requirements to be eligible for disbursement of your financial aid for a given semester, you may be permitted to charge your books against your anticipated financial aid refund at the Kodiak College Bookstore.

    If you are still working on your requirements and do not have a way to pay for your books please contact Student Services at 486-1214 to discuss available options. 

    Keep in mind that you cannot order books for online classes and charge them to your financial aid – the option applies only to books available in our campus bookstore.

  • What happens if I don't attend classes?

    If you receive financial aid but do not attend classes you will be subject to the terms in the Return of Federal Financial Aid Policy and your future financial aid eligibility may be affected (see UAA Student Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Statement).

    Discuss your situation with your program advisor and the financial aid office (486-1214) if you find that you will not be able to attend classes. 

  • What is a passing grade for financial aid?

    Grades that indicate satisfactory completion of a course for financial aid purposes are: A, B, C, D or P.

    Grades that indicate unsatisfactory completion for financial aid purposes are: AU, DF, F, I, W, NB, NC and NP

    Please review the UAA Student Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Statement for more information on maintaining eligibility for financial aid.

  • What loan options are available to me?

    You can find out which federal loan programs you qualify for by submitting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    Explore the types of federal student loans that are available.

  • What should I do if my family's income changes?
    Report your income each year when you file your FAFSA. If your income or circumstances have changed considerably since you filed and you would like to have your financial aid award recalculated, please submit a Request for Income Override Form to Student Services (Campus Center Room 103 or call 486-1214)
  • Where can I find an apply for scholarships?
     Our scholarship page is updated regularly with current opportunities.
  • Where is my refund? I was told my financial aid would disburse today, but I don't have my check/direct deposit.
    The disbursement date for financial aid is the date that UAA can request the money and apply it to your student account. It is not the day that you should expect to receive a refund. The earliest our financial aid office can request a disbursement of your financial aid is ten days before the start of each semester. Then your financial aid is processed and a paper check is mailed or direct deposit is issued to your bank (if you've set up a direct deposit). This processing can take up to two weeks. Therefore, if your financial aid is in order before the disbursement date (you have no outstanding requirements to be completed and you are admitted in eligible status), you should expect to see your refund within the first couple of weeks of the semester.

Student Services

  • Does Kodiak College offer tutoring?

    Yes, we do! Please contact The Learning Center for more information.   Call 907-486-1203.

    Live Homework Help is an additional resource available to all residents of Alaska for free.

  • Is there access to career counseling?
    Yes, we're here to help you meet your goals. Contact Barbara Brown, Academic Counselor for assistance. 
  • How do I get my college transcripts?

    For Unofficial and Official transcripts, from Kodiak College, log in to UAOnline. Contact Enrollment Services at UAA (907) 786-1480 with questions.

    If you are applying for admission, please have official copies of your transcripts from all other colleges you have attended sent to Kodiak College, UAA. The address is listed at the bottom of this webpage.

    If you have any questions about transcripts, contact Jennifer Myrick Pedersen.

  • What are my options if I am struggling with a class?

    You have several options.

    First you should speak with your instructor. View more information on recommendations to consider before making a change.

  • If I'm not doing well in a class, should I drop, audit or withdraw?

    Before you consider any of these choices, contact Student Services for more information: 907-486-4161 or

  • Drop
    Students may only drop a course at the beginning of the semester. Deadlines are determined by the class start dates and usually occur within the first two weeks of class. Deadlines are prorated for shorter classes and terms. Dropping a course within the drop period means the course will not appear on a student transcript.   
  • Withdraw
    After the deadline to drop a course, students may withdraw from a class. For semester length courses, students may withdraw after the drop period, through the twelfth week of class. Deadlines for withdrawing are prorated for shorter classes and terms. Withdrawing from a class will result in a notation of “W” on student transcripts, signifying that the student has withdrawn. A “W” is not an academic grade a`nd does not affect your GPA. However, your financial aid and academic progress may be impacted. Students are required to meet with their instructor or an advisor before withdrawing.
  • Audit
    Auditing is registering for a class, but not for the purpose of earning a grade and credits. An “AU” is noted on student transcripts for any class that students audit. Requirements for auditing are determined by the instructor. Students who initially enroll in a class for credit, but decide to change the status to audit, must obtain instructor approval and submit the appropriate form to Student Services. Selecting audit must be completed during the add/drop period. 
  • What If…?

    I have an “F”

     This is a grade you want to AVOID!!!   An “F” indicates failure and has a damaging effect on your GPA. Like all grades, it remains on your transcript permanently.  A low GPA can result in academic probation and/or removal from your degree program.  Failing to earn credit for enrolled courses or low GPA can disqualify students from future financial aid opportunities.  To avoid an “F”, students must complete a withdrawal form before the posted deadline or work with the instructor to try and bring the grade up.

    I have a “D”

    A”D” represents the lowest passing grade for the course.  Credit is earned, but in some cases, a grade of “C” or higher is needed to progress to the next level course.  Some programs will not allow students to proceed to the next level course with a “D” grade in certain courses.  A “D” affects GPA, so stronger grades will be needed in other classes to maintain student GPA and avoid problems with academic status and financial aid. 

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

  • What is the FAFSA school code?
    The FAFSA code is 011462.
  • When is the best time to fill out my FAFSA?

    The best time to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is as early as possible after the first of the calendar year for the upcoming academic year (ex. complete your FAFSA for the 2016/2017 school year after January 1, 2016).

    The FAFSA is designed to assess federal student aid eligibility but the information from your FAFSA is used to award various types of non-federal aid as well, for example:

    1. The State of Alaska uses your FAFSA to determine eligibility for the Alaska Advantage Education Grant if you submit your FAFSA before April 15th
    2. The State of Alaska requires recipients of the Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS) to submit their FAFSA by June 30th.
    3. The University of Alaska uses the FAFSA to determine eligibility for some institutional scholarships. To be eligible for these you must complete the FAFSA and the UA scholarship application by the February 15th.

    Submitting your FAFSA early could earn you additional non-federal financial aid.

    Completing your taxes early will help you get a jump on the FAFSA because you'll need that information to complete the FAFSA accurately. You can estimate your tax information for the FAFSA using data from previous tax years, but you'll need to correct the amounts after your tax filing is complete. When possible, use the IRS data retrieval tool to complete your FAFSA as it can help prevent processing delays.


 About Kodiak College

  • Where is Kodiak College located?

    Kodiak College is located at 117 Benny Benson Drive in Kodiak, Alaska.
    See more about Kodiak College on our About page.

  • How many students does Kodiak College have?
    Kodiak College has approximately 750 students. 
  • Is Kodiak College accredited?
    Yes, Kodiak College is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. This accreditation means that our courses are likely to transfer to other colleges and universities in Alaska and beyond.
  • What are the admissions requirements?

    Kodiak College has an open enrollment Policy. Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to enroll for credit at Kodiak College, UAA:

    a. Have earned a high school diploma or equivalent GED Certificate.

    b. Are high school students who have completed the process and are approved to participate in college courses. 

    Specific certificate and degree programs may have additional admissions requirements. Open admission does not guarantee formal admission to a certificate or degree program.

    Refer to the Admissions page for more information.

  • What degree and certificate programs do you have?

    We have five Associate of Applied Science degrees an Associate of Arts, General program, undergraduate certificates, and occupational endorsement certificates.  

    A Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education and an Associate of Applied Science in Nursing available through our parent college, the University of Alaska Anchorage.

    We also have a Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education and an Associate of Applied Science in Nursing available through our parent college, the University of Alaska Anchorage. Visit the Degrees and Certificates page for details.

  • How do I get started?

    Getting started requires applying for admission either as a degree-seeking or non-degree seeking student. Apply as a degree-seeking student if you intend to earn a degree or certificate and if you intend to apply for financial aid. If you are taking courses for your own personal interest and growth, apply as a non-degree seeking student. Apply at UAOnline for admission as Non-Degree Seeking if you are a new student or if it has been more than 2 years since you have taken a class.

    Visit the Admissions page for details. 

    If you would like to speak with a program advisor before your apply for admission, see the Advising Contacts page.

  • Is there a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) course available?

    The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course is a 7-credit class offered each spring semester at Kodiak College. The CNA application is available on campus. Students are encouraged familiarize themselves with the program requirements well in advance of the November submission deadline since a placement test, immunizations, and letters of reference are required. The cost of the CNA program will be approximately $1786.00 for spring 2016. Please see the CNA page or contact CNA instructor Margaret Stewart for more information at

  • What is the SAT and ACT code?

    The code is 0469.

  • What work study jobs are available?
    Student jobs (work study eligible) are posted at the University of Alaska Employment Website.  Select ‘Kodiak’ under job location and “Student Assistant” categories under classification.  There are limited student worker positions available on campus. 
  • Where can I find general information about employment opportunities for students?

    For information about off campus employment, check out the UA jobs website and search by Kodiak. You can also check the employment classifieds in the Kodiak Daily Mirror

    Occasionally, off campus job opportunities are posted at Kodiak College community bulletin boards. Inquire at Student Services in Campus Center Room 119 for information on current postings.