ACCUPLACER - Writing Placement Test
The University of Alaska uses the Accuplacer test to help students determine what writing course they will take when they begin college. Writing placement is determined by the combination of a student’s score on both a reading comprehension and sentence skills (grammar) test. Each test is 30 questions and although they are untimed, most students will complete the tests in about an hour or less.
Testing appointments are booked on the Test Center webpage on the Kodiak College website. Your appointment needs to be confirmed by the Test Center Administrator before your appointment time is secured. If you have questions, please contact the Test Center at 907-486-1232 or email the Test Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
What should I do BEFORE I take an Accuplacer test?
- Create a student account with the University of Alaska if you do not already have one
- Make an appointment online at the Test Center webpage to take the Accuplacer
- Pay $20 testing fee to the Business Office at Kodiak College
- Brush up on your reading and grammar skills
- Use the free Accuplacer Study App to review sample test questions
- Look at the review questions available on an Accuplacer Practice Test website for more examples of test questions
- Visit the Learning Center for assistance, if needed
For sample practice tests and study guide information, visit the Learning Center or the Test Center or go online to:
What should I do AFTER I take the Accuplacer?
- Contact your academic advisor or Student Services for an appointment to go over your test results
- Consult the Accuplacer Advising Sheet handout to find out which writing courses you are qualified to take
- Review Degree Works for your program requirements
- Look at the class schedule in UAOnline to determine your schedule