Kodiak College continues to function primarily via alternate course delivery, remote work, and controlled access to campus facilities. Campus services are available virtually and face-to-face by appointment. Please contact us if you have any questions. Learn more about UAA's COVID-19 response. Check on current eligibility for the vaccine.
ALEKS - Math Placement Test
After you log into ALEKS for the first time, you will have six months of access to the Math Placement package including:The University of Alaska uses the ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (PPL) system to help students determine what math course they will take when they begin college. The ALEKS program not only assesses your math level, but also creates a customized learning plan to improve your math skills. Students may take this online placement test from any computer at the location of their choice. This test is not proctored. Students are welcome to use campus computers for this test. Students will need their UA log-in credentials to access ALEKS. After taking the initial test, you will receive a report that shows your strengths and weakness and gives you the tools to remediate. You may take the test up to four times in order to bring your score up. Access to the ALEKS PPL program is free.
- Initial Math Placement Test
- A six-week on-line preparation and learning module
- Up to four re-tests
- Students can take the placement test anytime of the year, from any computer that has internet access.
- At the beginning of the Math Placement Test, you will go through a brief tutorial about the system and interface. You will be shown how to enter different types of answers, how to use the ALEKS calculator, and how to graph something by hand.
- Do not use a textbook or calculator - the assessment has a built-in calculator which is available on certain questions.
- Enter your answers carefully. Once you submit your response to a question, you cannot return to that question to change the answer.
- Select "I don't know" only if you have no idea how to work a problem. If you select "I don't know" repeatedly, it will lower your score on the assessment.
- Solve all problems on the Math Placement Test without assistance. Do not use any books or online resources, or ask for assistance from any other person. As an admitted student, you are a full member of the University of Alaska academic community and subject to the responsibilities of that community. If you violate University regulations, you are open to disciplinary action by the University.
- If your computer locks up or freezes during the middle of the assessment, refresh the page in your browser. If that does not work, close your browser and log back in. The work you have already submitted will be saved and the assessment will pick up at the point you left off.
- Once you begin the placement test you must complete it within 3 hours or you will have to start over.
- If you need an accommodation to take this test, please contact Disability Support Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or email Barbara Brown, Disability Support Services Point-of-Contact at Kodiak College at email@example.com.
What should I do AFTER I take the ALEKS?
- Contact your academic advisor or Student Services for an appointment to go over your test results.
- Review Degree Works for your program requirements
- Look at the class schedule in UAOnline to determine your schedule
Have questions? Please call Student Services at (907) 486-1266