- Why should I get advising?
As a result of participating in Academic Advising, students are able to:
- Make progress toward academic goals;
- Engage with college faculty, staff, and other students;
- Evaluate and improve the affective skills necessary to be a strategic and successful learner; and,
- Successfully navigate the Kodiak College and UAA systems.
- Who are the academic advisors?Barbara Brown, Academic Counselor, can assist you with academic planning and deciding what program you would like to pursue. She also provides advising for students admitted to the Associate of Arts, General Program and intake advising for the Associate of Applied Science in Nursing program through UAA. Please contact Barbara Brown at 907-486-1211 or email@example.com.
- Who needs advising?New and current students who plan to earn a degree or certificate at Kodiak College should seek academic advising. Academic advising is critical to make sure you understand your program requirements and college policies and have a plan to complete your program.
- How do I get good advising?View the Student Guide to Good Advising to learn more.
- What is the mission of Academic Advising?
The mission of Academic Advising at Kodiak College is to support student success by:
- Recognizing the need for higher education that is personal and consistent with the values of each learner;
- Providing an on-going, collaborative, nurturing, process in which students and educators develop trusting relationships and authentic connections;
- Empowering learners by intentionally providing occasions to develop decision-making skills.
Students who are taking eLearning or online courses for the first time are strongly encouraged to take the Smarter Measure to help them decide if they are ready for this type of course.
The Smarter Measure is free and measures life factors, personal attributes, learning styles, reading skills, technical knowledge, technical competency and typing skills. Advising is available after the assessment.
Student Coaches are available to all Kodiak College students. Learn more about this program designed to connect you with someone on campus who can answer your questions about college.