Writing Placement Test
The University of Alaska uses the Accuplacer test to help students determine what writing course they will take when they begin college. Writing placement is determined by the combination of a student’s score on both a reading comprehension and sentence skills (grammar) test. Each test is 30 questions and although they are untimed, most students will complete the tests in about an hour or less.
Accuplacer Writing Placement Test – During the COVID-19 crisis, students can take a remote Accuplacer exam online at home to determine a placement for writing. From the link provided, choose the "UAA Testing Center – University Center Mall." To register for the test, select the following options:
Choose a group: Accuplacer
Choose an exam: ACCUPLACER REMOTE ONLINE AT HOME ($21.00)
Then, indicate the date and time you want to take the test and provide the rest of the information requested.
Fianlly, the test taker will pay the $21 Accuplacer fee with a credit card.
To take the remote Accuplacer, students need access to the following items:
- a valid photo ID,
- a laptop or desktop computer,
- a microphone,
- a webcam, and
- high-speed internet.
Should the proctor believe that the student taking the remote Accuplacer has participated in questionable behaviors or activities while the exam is in progress, the proctor will forcibly stop the exam and notify the UAA Testing Center of possible academic dishonesty.
This exam has a standard $21.00 fee; no additional fees will be charged.
The remote Accuplacer can be taken one time.
Students will receive a PDF of their score via email.
What should I do BEFORE I take an Accuplacer test?
- Create a student account with the University of Alaska if you do not already have one
- Brush up on your reading and grammar skills
- Use the free Accuplacer Study App to review sample test questions
- Look at the review questions available on an Accuplacer Practice Test website for more examples of test questions
- Visit the Learning Center for assistance, if needed
For sample practice tests and study guide information, visit the Learning Center or the Test Center or go online to:
What should I do AFTER I take the Accuplacer?
- Contact your academic advisor or Student Services for an appointment to go over your test results
- Consult the Accuplacer Advising Sheet handout to find out which writing courses you are qualified to take
- Review Degree Works for your program requirements
- Look at the class schedule in UAOnline to determine your schedule