Effective Coaching Questions
Open ended questions that bring about awareness and discovery
- How would you describe the situation?
- What’s important about that?
- What stands out for you?
- How else can you look at this situation?
Questions that support action and accountability (closed-ended)
- What’s your next step?
- Will you do it?
- When will you do it?
- How often will you do it?
Questions that facilitate deep thinking and understanding
- What concerns you about this?
- How does this fit with you current priorities?
- What would be the consequences of not pursuing this?
- What did you learn about yourself?
Questions that shift from how things are now to desired results
- What do you want?
- What will this look like when you have been successful?
- What would be the ideal way to approach this?
Questions that facilitate options
- What are some of the options you have come up with so far?
- What do feel would work best for you?
- Can I offer a suggestion that I feel might work?
Emotional Intelligence and the College Coach Approach
July 26, 2011
Steve Fishman & Lisa Decandia