- Who needs advising?
New and current students who plan to earn a degree or certificate at Kodiak College should seek academic advising. Academic advising is critical to make sure you understand your program requirements and college policies and have a plan to complete your program.
- Why should I get advising?
As a result of participating in Academic Advising, students are able to:
- Make progress toward academic goals;
- Engage with college faculty, staff, and other students;
- Evaluate and improve the affective skills necessary to be a strategic and successful learner; and,
- Successfully navigate the Kodiak College and UAA systems.
- Who are the academic advisors?
Program Chairs and Coordinators advise students who are exploring or admitted to their degree and certificate programs. These advisors can explain the program requirements and help you create a degree plan based on the number of credits you will take each semester and when the courses you need are being offered.
Smart Start - Taten Sheridan, 907-486-1253 or firstname.lastname@example.org
College Success - Barbara Brown, 907-486-1211 or email@example.com
Associate of Applied Science in Accounting - Kathrynn Hollis-Buchanan, 907-486-1210 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate of Applied Science in General Business - Kathrynn Hollis-Buchanan, 907-486-1210 or email@example.com
Associate of Arts, General Program - Barbara Brown, 907-486-1211 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate of Applied Science in Technology - Lorraine Stewart, 907-486-1209 or email@example.com
Career Specialty Undergraduate Certificates
Welding - Lorraine Stewart, 907-486-1209 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Occupational Endorsement Certificates (OECs)
Alutiiq Language - Libby Eufemio, 907-486-1276 or email@example.com
Office Foundations, Office Support - Heather Corriere, 907-486-1212 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Programs through the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) and the University of Alaska Southeast (UAS)
Associate of Applied Science in Early Childhood Development - Kitty Deal, 907-486-1223 or email@example.com
Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education - Kitty Deal, 907-486-1223 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Masters of Education in Elementary Education - Kitty Deal, 907-486-1223 or email@example.com
- What is the mission of academic advising at Kodiak College?
The mission of Academic Advising at Kodiak College is to support student success by:
- Recognizing the need for higher education that is personal and consistent with the values of each learner;
- Providing an on-going, collaborative, nurturing, process in which students and educators develop trusting relationships and authentic connections;
- Empowering learners by intentionally providing occasions to develop decision-making skills.
Students who are taking eLearning or online courses for the first time are strongly encouraged to take the Smarter Measure to help them decide if they are ready for this type of course.
The Smarter Measure is free and measures life factors, personal attributes, learning styles, reading skills, technical knowledge, technical competency and typing skills. Advising is available after the assessment.
Student Coaches are available to all Kodiak College students. Learn more about this program designed to connect you with someone on campus who can answer your questions about college.